Monday, September 1, 2014

September 1, 2014


Hola familia!
This is one of those weeks where you just don´t know where to begin.
Last week before Hermana Boren left, we were at the home of Sergio and his children (the ones who were just baptised). As we sat outside his house on little wooden chairs as the sun went down, he said that I was like a baby that was just about to take my first steps (referring to the fact that Hermana Boren was about to leave me).  That I was going to sway and teater and maybe fall down... but it was their job to help me keep going.  He is so sweet, and it is so true!  It has been a huge stretch this past week... I have felt the growing pains and I can see that I am already a bit taller.
Heavenly Father has helped me to navigate the streets, given me the words to speak, and the boldness to begin and end the lessons.  Truly the Lord is qualifying me for my grand calling.  Gálvez needs a lot of work and obedience and love (but don´t worry, I am still having fun).
My new companion is Hermana Ulloa.  She is from Honduras and has been in the mission for 9 months.  Because she lived in the states for 10 years, she speaks both English and Spanish!  So we set out to work... and we have things to improve in our companionship, but I am grateful to have her.  I am learning muchísimo about myself, the work, and how to work with others.  My prayers are more sincere, and I know that Heavenly Father hears and answers them.  I am relying more heavily on Christ, my Savior.  And searching for the Spirit in all things.  The scriptures mean so much to me, as do conference talks. 
So I tried to plan our time wisely, visit all those that we could, and also build a good relationship with my companion.  On Sunday (after a very peaceful sacrament meeting), Sergio told me that a member of our branch (Evelia- age 74) was really sad and heartbroken because we didn´t visit her this last week.  He asked if we had done all we could have done to meet the needs of our members and investigators.
I stopped for a minute and I think my heart sunk a little deeper into my chest.  I didn´t know.  I suddenly felt really small for my calling.  How can I meet with all of the less actives, investigators, and recent converts?  And still have time to build a relationship with my companion, study, travel for meetings, etc?  I don´t know how to do it.
We walked to an appointment with someone that ended up falling through, and passed by the house of an investigator that just dropped us and doesn´t want to hear anymore (after having had a date of baptism and everything).  I felt that I had failed this last week.  That I could have done better.  But something I know is this:
"God does notice us and He watches over us.  But it is usually through another that he meets our needs." -Elder Spencer W. Kimball
Last night my district leader, Elder Jensen, told me that he too has felt that way.  That we must listen to the spirit to know who we should visit and when; to be able to find those that the Lord has already prepared.  Thank you Elder Jensen!
And this morning during companionship study, Presidente Zanni (my mission president) called.  He told me that I can do this!  And I know I can, I must rely 100% on the Lord.  I am grateful that the Lord humbles us, so that we can remember who´s we are, why we are here, and how to do all things in His name.  After all, those are the covenants I made at baptism.
Love you all!!





My new companion.

No comments:

Post a Comment