Tuesday, July 1, 2014

July 1, 2014 - Week 4 MTC

Hermana Cannon is next to me.  So grateful to know her!
My Branch Presidency wives.  My moms!




Hola familia!

So I get my travel plans this week, and next week is my last week here in the MTC!  Extraña (weird)!  But exciting.  

Okay, never have I so fervently felt the words "I need thee every hour." Hermana Robinson and I are teaching our first real investigator.  Her name is Natalie, and she is a friend of someeone who works here.  She is from Nicaragua.  And it hurts me to hear her say, "Why do I need to thank God for things when I pray?  I achieved these things by myself."  I see how much the Lord is in my life... uplifting me every step of the way!  I am so grateful for all of the beautiful things He sends me. 

One in particular is this new friend I have.  Hermana Alima Cannon.  So the other day I was having a somewhat rough time, and I felt prompted to talk to these two girls that were doing their companionship study.  So I called over to them, trying to strike up a conversation.  And wow.  I think it was I who needed the help... not her.  The two hermanas dragged their chairs over by ours (we were sitting under the shade of a tree against the creek.  The sun was just dipping down).  An hour went by of just talking.  I talked to Hermana Cannon about all of the blessings that come from the mission.  She said, "I am serving a mission because I love God."  The spirit pierced me when she said that.  It was all my mind all night... and all the next day.  She said it with such conviction.  With such power.  I too, love my God, and serve for Him.  But I need to have that on my mind more as I go about my purpose.  Then, I shared with her a poem that I was thinking about writing (she loves writing also, and we have a lot in common it kind of amazes me).  The next day... she came up to me with a song written to the words of my poem!  Who does that!?  It was so beautiful.  She sang it for me and some other people, and it touched all of us.  We are working on it, some Elders are involved as well in this process.  How miraculous is that?

All the "The Spirit of God" "How Firm a Foundation" and "Come, Come Ye Saints" keep me pushing through!  The words feel so close to me.  They are my mission.  My eyes are opening! In the words of Joseph Smith, shall we not go on in so great a cause?

In 2 Nephi 10:20 it reads, "Seeing that our merciful God has given us so great knowledge concerning these things, let us remember him, and lay aside our sins, and not hang down our heads, for we are not cast off; nevertheless, we have been driven out of the land of our inheritance; but we have been led to a better land, for the Lord has made the sea our path, and we are upon an isle of the sea."

When we stay close to our Heavenly Father and honor or covenants, only better things lie ahead.  And Jesus Christ was on the water, too.  He calmed the sea, and has seen every wave and torrent out there.  And conquered.  And so can we, through Him.

I can only imagine what it will be like to stand in the presence and glory of Jesus Christ.  Because I know how I feel when I stand in the presence of His servants.  And I am moved--very heart and soul-- to come unto Him.  The love is so strong.

You should definitely go to the New York Times website and find the "1 in 8 million people" campaign.  I think this might be the link.https://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/nyregion/1-in-8-million/

I think you will all really like it.  We us this link get to know an "investigator."  We watch one about someone, and one of us acts and responds as that person.  The other is the missionary.  I love it.  It is so beautiful to look into someone's life and be a guide for them to happiness.

I was called as Sister Training Leader (which is the female equivelent to a Zone Leader).  I am very humbled and grateful for this opportunity I have to serve.  We are getting four new hermanas this Wednesday!  I can't wait to help them along.  It will be a strength to me.  

Love, Hermana Briggs


No comments:

Post a Comment