Monday, July 21, 2014

Arrived in Argentina!


FAMILIA!!

Okay so I am typing so fast on this keyboard that is really hard to use, so I apologize for any errors.

I seriously don't even know how to begin to describe this past week.  In one word: MIRACULOUS.

Okay so I am just going to bullet point some things.  Okay here it goes.  Wow my mind is going a thousand miles an hour.

  • Argentina: the weather here has been so good.  The days are nice and mild and the nights are a bit chilly... it kind of feels like Utah in the fall.  The people are awesome.  In Buenos Aires they are super fashionable and it reminded me of New York.  The people are so beautiful too... tan skin and dark hair but green eyes.  
  • My Trainer!!:  Hermana Boren is my trainer and I am the most blessed person in the world to have her.  She is sincerely so amazing I don't even know what else to say.  She is from Highland, Utah and speaks spanish like a nativo.  People always think that she is from here.  We stick out a lot because we are so blond and fair with blue eyes, and it is kind of funny when people look at our name tags and faces with such scrutiny.  But I love it!  It is such an honor to be able to represent Christ and His work.  Hermana Boren is so sweet and a great teacher; you should see her in our lessons.  She knows exactly what to say and how to speak to both children and spiteful men.  She always has the spirit, and I am so humbled to be with her.  I am grateful for this time I have with her.  Okay so here is the scary/sad part... this is her last transfer.  Normally everyone trains for 12 weeks, which means that I should be with her for two transfers.  But she leaves in FIVE weeks!  Do you know what that means?  I only have six weeks to train.  She wasn't going to tell me this.  She was going to tell me right before she left... but it accidently slipped on our first bus ride.  And according to her my face just went pale, because I feel extremely inadequate to be doing this!  My jaw literaly dropped.  I was literally speechless.  But I know that this is happening for a reason, and I need to absorb and learn and enjoy all this blessed time I have to be with her.  She is so amazing, I am so grateful.
  • G'alvez: My area!  I don't know how this is happening, but I got the most amazing area in all of Rosario.  Probably all of Argentina!  Or the world.  We are about six hours outside of Rosario.  And we are in the pueblo of G'alvez, and the nearest missionaries to us are about an hour and a half away!  We have this place all to ourselves.  And I love it so much.  The streets are clean and the people so friendly.  And the homes look like a spanish colonial... sometimes European. But it is nice because there are also more humble or rural places.  Like sheet metal for walls and cement floors everywhere and things like that.  Dirt and rust and wrappers around.  Dad, it kind of looks like Milipillas in Mexico... We spend a lot of times in both areas, and I feel that I have the best of both worlds.  Very humble areas, and more cityish areas.  Okay and get this: we are doing a "white wash." That means that both of us are new to this area.  So we are meeting the members and investigators and the streets all for the first time.  It is a very humbling experience: because supposedly this is a very difficult thing to do.  Particularly because are without any other missionaries... but I love it!
  • Church: So our branch is tiny! On Sunday we had about 9 people not including us. And guess what... we give a twenty minute talk every week, teach the primary, lead the music, teach Gospel Doctrine and Relief Society.  So on Sunday I taught primary, while my amazing companion taught Gospel Doctrine/Relief Society, and later she gave the twenty minute talk.  Sorry I know a dash belongs there but I can't figure out this keyboard.  But Heavenly Father is helping me so much... I was able to talk to the members and communicate just fine.  I could understand almost everything they said, and relay back what I needed to.  We are strengthening this branch, and I am giving it my all to leave it a strong ward with faithful members and the Priesthood.
  • Language: It all depends on the Gift of Tongues.  Sometimes I can understand what is happening, and say all that I need to.  And those times I feel the spirit so strongly and I know that it is not my own doing, but Heavenly Father's.  Other times I am in a lesson and I feel very confused.  "Wait, why are they talking about Catholic clothing?  Where did I come into this conversation?  Why are they flinging their arms all around the place?  I think that was a swear word."  Sometimes that is what I am thinking.  But I always can look to Hermana Boren, because she is just always ready and knows what to say.  I truly believe that she responds the way that Christ would.  I am just trying to absorb everything.  
  • Our apartment: at night when I finally lay down I am OUT.  Wow the work of the Lord is draining.  But so worth it.  I will send you pictures.  On the first day I learned how to deal with a finicky pilot light, take apart a table, put together a bunk bed, and many other adventurous things.
  • Miracles: I don't even know how or where to begin.  It's like I said in a previous email: things are sacred and it is hard to just talk about over the computer.  But believe me, there have been many.  One is this family we are teaching: Sergio is the father.  His children are Milagros, Gabriel, Ailen, and Esteban.  And they are all getting baptized on August 16th!  Don't think that I had anything to do with this... it was all the doing of the sister missionaries that were here before us.  I just have the pleasure of teaching them. They are so sweet I love them so much.  Just the deepest type of love there is.  We pray harder for our investigators than I ever have for myself, that's how my companion put it. Let me just say that G'alvez is white and ready to harvest.  God has been preparing people to hear, and I am so grateful to be a part of it.
  • Food: Well I can't say that I love it.  But it could definitely be worst.  I've seen pictures of Sarah's food in Peru... yuck.  But we eat a lot of pasta and meat and bread.  Breakfast I have yogurt.  Lunch is HUGE.  Dinner isn't until 9:30 at night, and it's really small.  But I love you all so much!

I love it here so much.  Sincerely I do.  I feel the Lord strengthening me and helping me everyday.  I love these people, and I love this work.  It is so amazing to sit in a little cinder block home on a broken chair and teach a couple that are not married but have four children, about the Atonement.  About how Christ has suffered all, and He knows our pains and sorrows.  I am so grateful to be here in this area, with this companion.  For the time being all is well... and I know that hard times lie ahead.  But for now I am grateful for the light I can see in the eyes of these people across from me, who are hearing of their self worth for the first time.  That they have a Heavenly Father who loves them and they can communicate with Him.  It is such a wonderful spirit.

MIssion Home

Hitting the streets

Mission President

No comments:

Post a Comment